Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 79001990
Historic Name FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF LAWTON
Description of Significance CONSTRUCTED IN 1902, THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF LAWTON EXHIBITS A VARIATION OF THE GOTHIC REVIVAL STYLE OF ARCHITECTURE OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH THE ENGLISH TRADITION. THE STEEPLY PITCHED, GABLED ROOF HIGHLIGHTED BY PENDILS AND GABLE BRACING AND THE LOW, BUTRESSED WALLS WOULD BE APPROPRIATED IF FOUND IN THE ENGLISH COUNTRYSIDE. IT REMAINS THE OLDEST CHURCH BUILDING IN LAWTON. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 12/14/79.
Current Name SAME
Address 716 S.W. D AVENUE
City LAWTON
County COMANCHE
Lot 8
Block 52
Current Section SEC 31
Township T2N
Range R11W
Type BUILDING
Historic Function RELIGIOUS STRUCTURE
Current Function RELIGIOUS STRUCTURE
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 6/16/92
Year Built 1902
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder
Architectural Style LATE GOTHIC REVIVAL
Roof Material SHINGLES
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material Wood
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details STAINED GLASS WINDOWS, ARCHED WINDOWS
Condition GOOD
Comments 43. DESCRIPTION OF RESOURCE (CONTINUED): ALSO, STAIRS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE SOUTH SIDE
Restricted N